Monday, January 14, 2013

Vulnerabilities


                I have a hard time being vulnerable with just anyone. With my sisters, biological and not, I can pretty much lay my heart out in the open but not with/to a stranger or a mere acquaintance. How many agree with that? But see, therein lies the problem: the Word says that we overcome “by the blood of the Lamb and the word of [our] testimony” Rev. 12:11.  I got the “blood of the Lamb” part down pat (with the help of the Holy Ghost off course)! I have believed and received the Lord Jesus Christ into my life as my personal Savior but umm… do I REALLY have to share what You’ve brought me out of Lord? Are You sure???
              
                True story: so I’m doing my daily devotional just a few minutes ago using Jarrid Wilson’s book 30 Words: A Devotional for the Rest of Us (only $3.99 on Amazon.com and sooooooooooo worth it). The challenge of the day was to HONESTLY list three sins that I am currently struggling with AND… this is the clincher right here, AND share it with someone close with whom we can pray together about gaining freedom in these areas. Can we say instant PANIC ATTACK! So what you’re saying is I have to be open with someone else while I can barely be open with myself? Hmm….

                Oh, but that’s not it!!! What was my first post on? OBEDIENCE!!!!  Doing what God says WHEN He says it. Yup, I’m right there between ‘Rock Street’ and ‘Hard Place’; I had to do it come rain or high water. But then who am I really calling at this hour? No one! The Lord sent me here. Yup, to more than one person… God got jokes!

 My close circle already, to an extent, know my testimony and therefore do not need it. It is those people who do not know about Jesus; those who are going through EXACTLY what God brought me AND you out of that need to hear about the victory we have in Jesus Christ, that can also become their reality! It is also for those who know Jesus but STILL they struggle in a particular area of their Christian journey. I had to ask myself why I feel I’m too good to talk about my dirt that I wasn’t too good to do in the first place. #RealityCheck.

 Isn’t it sad that we are more ashamed of what people will think of us than what God will think? No I won’t go into the whole “He has a hell to put you in but man doesn’t” shpiel because we already know that and yet here we still stand in this predicament.

So what does this mean for you and me? Simply put, we need to start talking… being open with one another. You don’t have to force it to happen, but don’t shy away from the opportunity to share a vulnerable piece of you when it arises. You never know whom it may bless. And if we can’t be open with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ then who can we be open with? We have to put the mantra “be the change you want to see in this world” to work, especially in our churches.

“Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne” Heb. 12:2. Jesus saw the bigger picture. Did it hurt Him? YES (You try wearing a crown of thorns and see how it feels - Mark 15:17). Did he want to avoid it? Yes (Luke 22:42). But the end was greater than the means; our salvation was worth His suffering and pain. And in this day and age, His lost sheep’s salvation is worth OUR brief suffering too. Since to be like Christ is to suffer like Him, let me start us off then:
1.       Impure thoughts
2.       Lying
3.       Procrastination

What are your big three? (No you don’t have to list them so breathe easy).

Automatically I wanted to justify my sins and you may too but don’t fall for that trick of the enemy! Simply acknowledge them, confess them, repent and FORGET!!! God will too… just as soon as you say amen!

For “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

2 comments: