Monday, August 4, 2014

Where's Wisdom?

I started this evening's study with the intention on finishing up Psalm 139 which I had started a little over a week ago. As is usually the case, I got sucked into all these other awesome scriptures that went along with it. Needless to say, I never finished that chapter. So anyway, I log on to BibleGateway.com ; I love using their parallel bible capabilities. And BAM! As soon as I got on the homepage, I went no further; happily sidetracked again. They usually post a verse of the day and today's was:

“This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name: ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’
Jeremiah 33:2-3 NIV

Awesome verse in and of itself but it held even more weight today. Here's why: I literally just finished reading (longest, coolest title ever) Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will OR How to Make a Decision without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in The Sky, etc. by Kevin DeYoung this morning and he writes: 


"Isn't it interesting that we are never told in scripture to ask God to reveal the future or to show us His plan for our lives? But we are told - in no uncertain terms - to call out for insight and to cry aloud for understanding.  In other words,  God says, "Don't ask to see all the plans I've made for you. Ask me for wisdom so you'll know how to live according to My Book."

This was the quote that stuck out most to me and I love that the scripture above gave me a reminder that prompted me to meditate more on what this really means. Even more, how to make it applicable to my life daily! The last post i wrote on was about the Holy Spirit and how we cannot do anything contrary to the flesh and it's sinful ways without His help. This is one area that we need His help in more than ever!

3 steps though Mr. DeYoung highlights to help in this process of gaining wisdom:

Pray: Invite the Holy Spirit who authored the Bible and who lives every minute within you, to guide you and open you up to receive understanding.

Search the scripture: No greater wisdom can be found on this earth than in the Holy Bible.

Seek Counsel: Not just advice but wholesome words from bible believing-and-living people who know you and who have your best intentions at heart.

All of these work ONLY if WE remain TEACHABLE. So let US:

"Therefore humble [ourselves] under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt [us] at the proper time, casting all [our] anxiety on Him, because He cares for [us]." 

1 Peter 5:6-7

Grace and peace good folks!

1 comment:

  1. Don't ask to see all the plans I've made for you. Ask me for wisdom so you'll know how to live according to My Book."
    THIS is absolutely right, i think often times we get soo caught up in wanting to know why, and how come that we fail to even acknowledge the process that is needed to get or obtain the wisdom needed for the future. I am definitely guilty if this, but with each passing day I believe as a persons relationship with God grows so does their faith and patience in understanding that he loves us and would never put us through something without a reward. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete